Thursday, September 12, 2013

Homebrew Headquarters

So, Erin and I made a trip over to Homebrew Headquarters in Richardson after we both got off work today.  I knew I needed a hydrometer so I could start taking gravity readings, and I figured I'd see what else they have that I need/can use, plus get some ideas/ingredients for my next batch.

The people at HBHQ were extremely nice and very helpful.  I got the hydrometer and wine thief right away, and we decided that we might as well get all the stuff for my next batch while we were there.  I've been going back and forth on doing a pumpkin ale and an IPA, but leaning toward IPA, because I would rather wait until I get into all grain brewing to do the pumpkin ale.  So, IPA it is.  I asked the guy what he recommended for a recipe for a good IPA.  We decided to go with a more citrusy, piney IPA, so we took the house recipe and swapped out the English hops for American hops.  Here's what we ended up with:

Sugars:
7lbs Light LME
1cup light brown sugar

Grains:
1/2lb Light Crystal Malt 20L
1/2lb Cara-Pils Malt
2lbs 2-row Pale Malt

Hops:
1oz Chinook (bittering) 60 min
1oz Centennial (flavoring) 10 min
1/2oz Centennial(finishing) 5 min
1/2oz Centennial (dry hopping)

Yeast:
Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast

We also picked up a package of patriotic American flag bottle caps (awesome idea, Erin!), some sanitizer, and cleaning solvent for all the brewing equipment.  Also, got enough corn sugar to last me about 8 batches or so.  Our shopping was rounded out by a package of whirlfloc, which will help clarify the beer.

After a stop for dinner, we got back home and unloaded the goodies.  The yeast and hops went into the fridge for storage, the grains and the extract went with my brewing kettle to be ready for brew day.  The sanitizer I used to make a couple of gallons of sanitizer solution, and put the wine thief in to soak for a few minutes.  After it was all sanitized and ready to go, I let it air dry for a bit, then headed for the pantry to pull a sample of beer out of the carboy.  Dropped the hydrometer into the sample in the thief.  Temperature-adjusted gravity reading is 1.014.  From what I can find, the expected FG for this recipe is 1.010 to 1.015, so I'm in the range. 

I'll take another sample tomorrow, then another on on Sunday after we get back from College Station.  If they're all consistent, then I'll do a 24-hour cold crash in the fridge to help clear the beer, then bottle Monday.  3 weeks of bottle conditioning, and they'll be ready to try out!  So, sports fans, plan on second week of October for my first tasting!  Well, first bottle tasting.  I couldn't let today's test sample go to waste, had to try it out, of course.  It tasted like flat beer, which I guess is good, since that's pretty much what it is at this point!

Gig 'Em and BTHO Alabama!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment